Monday, October 14, 2013

Current Connection: 1.2

In Elizabeth Stark's commentary on "U.S. Kids Need Computer-Science Education" at USA Today, she informs society of the ever demanding need of computer-science education and how it is affecting our overall educational standings throughout the world.

Beginning her commentary, Stark immediately states how "Estonia recently announced that it is teaching all first graders how to code." This shows how far ahead, or how far behind Estonia we are. If first graders in Estonia are already learning to code, write computer programs and applications for a computer, on a computer, and in our generation adults can barely search the web, then we may have a problem keeping up-to-par in education. 









Later, Stark then tells us a startling statistic: "By 2018, there will be nearly three times as many job openings requiring computer science knowledge than qualified applicants." Three times!? That is a scary amount of unoccupied jobs, that will not be able to be filled by our country unless we step up our education in computer science. Computer science is an important part of our education to have today, since the modern world is beginning to be ruled by computer technology.

 Nearing the end of her commentary, Stark states lastly that, " we're at a crossroads as a nation....and we have a choice between two futures. Future A is one in which everyone has basic code literacy and is empowered to build the future. Future B is one in which only an elite few know how to interact with the system, and the rest remain powerless." Currently, our nation is heading towards Future B, since we always have to call a maintenance man to fix our computers.



 Even in our school, the high school right here in Batesville Arkansas, our computer science education is very limited. I feel like here in my school I have limited access to any kind of computer knowledge. Any knowledge I wanted to gain I had to teach myself. Coding is one of the many subjects I would have loved to learn during my high school career, as I am sure many others would have also.

 So, will our nation begin to change to Future A, or continue down the path to Future B? I suppose that would be up to all of us as a society, now wouldn't it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment